In the good-old days a lunchtime snack on a club ride was a primitive affair. It would typically involve shivering in a layby while trying to heat a tin of beans over an improvised fire using a spoke. It was called 'Drumming Up'. These day’s cafe stops and French Toast are the order of the day, but it has to be earnt. On Sunday the regular Fullarton Club Run met at the Portal in Irvine at 09:30. The destination was The Rendezvous Cafe in Kilmaurs. Eleven riders turned up and the run, as ever, departed promptly. In reasonably good February weather the group kept together at a steady pace, passing through Ice Station Dreghorn where it is always ten degrees colder, and on up into Crosshouse, Knockentiber and the first of two visits to Kilmaurs. The group kept the pace steady on the climb towards Fenwick, turning left for a remorseless drag up into the overcast sky along the old A77. Lots of other cyclists were out and about. The steady climbing was hindered further by a nagging headwind and, strangely, some snow. But only in the front garden of an isolated house near Floak. Several miles later the group turned left at Sunnyside Farm (surely the worst case of misnaming in East Renfrewshire?) and a few riders were let off the leash for a series of sharp climbs on a severely potholed road alongside Black Loch. Regrouping at the B769 junction at Windy Yett (a more accurate place name this time) we all waved at a non-club member as he went by. After making an advance booking at the cafe, something else that was not routine in the days of 'Drumming Up', we were off. Downhill with the wind behind us the outward effort was well rewarded. The lone cyclist we saw earlier was caught and passed, and shouts of 'jump on' were made. Jump on he did. The stranger’s eyes were popping out and by the time we reached Stewarton he was whooping with joy, shouting "that was amazing!" Such is the joy of club riding, especially when the pace is high in a big group. Heading the peleton towards Stewarton were Jim Ryland, Guy Walker, Ally Kinnaird and others. They were the engine room for a slipstream assisted 30+ mph, enabling Colin Broadfoot and George Gass to save just enough energy to sprint past and claim victory. A charitable explanation for such a manoeuvre would be 'tactics'. Other less-charitable explanations are also available and were clearly voiced. Our friends at The Rendezvous in Kilmaurs were ready for us and it was bacon rolls, omelettes and French toast all round. Martin Shields, of course, sat down first and was served last. As usual. The distance covered for most riders was 50 miles at an average speed of 16mph. A good steady ride suited to everyone's abilities and fitness levels, and no punctures.