club night

Plans for Club Nights
Gordon_Stead
Directeur Sportif

club night

Postby Gordon_Stead » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 2:38 pm

anyone interested in doing a fitnes test on the watt bike tonight . bring along your shoes and pedals.

Peter_Beukelman
Directeur Sportif

Re: club night

Postby Peter_Beukelman » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 2:50 pm

Gordon,

That sound like a plan to me.
At the barn or Drybridge?

Cheers,

Peter
Peter Beukelman

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl

Kevin_Brown
Directeur Sportif

Postby Kevin_Brown » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 2:57 pm

Is there still going to be the normal monday run???
39x14

Stephen Cassidy
Directeur Sportif

Postby Stephen Cassidy » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 3:26 pm

Guys

I spoke to Gordon earlier, he is planing to bring the Watt Bike to Drybridge...!!!!

As for the Run tonight..... hoping it brightens up a bit..... will be bringing bike etc. and make decision down there.

If anyone wants to climb Dundonald Hill a few times, I'm doing the Hill Session starting from Drybridge at 6pm.

Cheers.... Stephen

Gordon_Graham
Directeur Sportif

Postby Gordon_Graham » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:53 pm

A big thanks to the guys for the Watt Bike tests last night. Definitely a good way to guage where ones fitness is at.

A quick coaching question to Brian and Gordon:-

I've had a bit of difficulty getting myself down to race weight this year. Am I right in saying high intensity sessions are only good for burning off the fast energy supply (glycogen in muscles and liver) and burn off very little fat.

I possibly need to do a lower and longer intensity session??

Any suggestions.... apart from eat less cakes...?

Incredibly, my ideal max weight for someone my height is 14 stone and I am 6 pounds over this.... making me officially 'overweight'.

Cheers, Gordon G.

Brian_Loye
Directeur Sportif

Postby Brian_Loye » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Gordon, you're absolutely right - high intensity riding will be burning mainly non-fat energy stores which don't really help with weight loss but work on speed and high end power.

The lower intensity efforts, the endurance type efforts, are those which burn off more fat and also build aerobic fitness.

Your hard turbo sessions working on race speed would obviously be the high intensity sessions whereas the steady longer distance rides will be the lower intensity fat burning exercise.

You're probably familiar with the training Zones. From the test you done last night you could work out the BPM (heart rate) ranges which will burn mostly fat and which ranges which then burn less fat and work more on higher end performance.

As well as riding at the appropriate level to burn more fat you also need to consume fewer calories than you use in order to lose any weight.

Not sure if you use a heart monitor but I can work out your Zones for you on Monday night at the club if you wish and go through what the main purpose/benefit of each zone is.

brian_johnston
GC Contender

Postby brian_johnston » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 9:52 am

Brian,
This is all interesting stuff.
When I started cycling earlier in the year I lost weight immediately (around 2 stone). Although I now feel fitter my weight has hit a plateau. Would be interested in a chat about training zones and what you suggest to kick start the weight loss again.
Cheers
Brian J
PS I do note Gordon's comment about the cakes!!

Gordon_Graham
Directeur Sportif

Postby Gordon_Graham » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for the info Brian. I think my problem is having the winter off the bike and then doing high end sessions to get some speed and power back. I've been riding to and from work since the middle of May but it's only approx 8.5 miles each way and I tend to thrash the bike in both directions. I think the solution is to do some longer rides and some longer session on the turbo that are in the correct zone. The only long ride I do is the club ride and that is generally only 40 miles or so.

I will start with a longer ride this weekend in the Graeme Obree Sportive and will speak to you about the correct zone on next Monday night. Having gotten reasonably fit, it will be good to improve the power to weight ratio by losing 5 or 6 kilos.

Return to “2012 Club Nights”