D. McL.
Grizzled old pro

ARGYLE RUN on 2nd MAY 2010

Post by D. McL. » Tue 27 Apr, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Folks,

The Argyll run is fast approaching.

Sunday 2nd May 2010.

The itinerary is as follows.

STARTING POINT: Meet at Wemyss Bay ferry terminal @ 8.45 - 9.00am.
At this point we will decide on which route you prefer and we will purchase tickets accordingly.

ROUTE A: Board the 10.15am Cal-Mac Ferry to Rothesay. Cycle the circular route on A844 round Bute including a cafe stop at Ettrick Bay and re-group back at the ferry terminal. Distance 22 miles.

ROUTE B: As above, but cycle up to Rhubodach and back down on A886 and re-group at the ferry terminal.
Distance 32 miles.

ROUTE C: Meet at Wemyss Bay ferry terminal. Cycle up the coast to Gourock and board the 10.20am Cal-Mac ferry to Dunoon. Cycle northwards on A815 past Loch Eck to Strachur for a cafe stop. Then onwards on A886 through Glendaruel Forest (road, not a mountain bike trail) and down through the Kyles of Bute to Colintraive then board the ferry for the 5 minute crossing to Rhubodach. Cycle down to the ferry terminal at Rothesay where we will ALL re-group again before boarding the ferry for Wemyss Bay to take us back to our STARTING POINT.
Distance 53 miles.

ROUTE D: As above but take right at Port Bannantyne and include cycling round Bute and meet at the ferry terminal for the Wemyss Bay crossing.
Distance 73 miles.

Routes A & B are ideal for beginners to come along and enjoy, with Routes C & D. for the mile munchers

Cheers
D. McL.

Private message

Ian Hackney
Directeur Sportif

Re: ARGYLE RUN on 2nd MAY 2010

Post by Ian Hackney » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 9:30 pm

Davie,

I had a go at the MapMy Ride site for your ride on Sunday and the link is below. Please give it a try be clicking on the link.

There's a slight problem in the distance quoted as it seems to be including the sail in the total ride distance but looks quite close.

P.S. I think I've got the route right but would be worth checking.

Cheers
Ian

Last edited by Ian Hackney on Fri 30 Apr, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
High time we made a stand
And shake up the views of the common man.

Chris Staples
Directeur Sportif

Post by Chris Staples » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:21 am

Ian,

Looks good with the exception of the Gourock ferry - it is the first one as you ride north, McInroy's Point over to Hunters Quay. From the elevation chart it looks like there is one big climb on the ride, soon after the cafe stop at Strachur - I am making a mental note to go easy on the cake and butties :lol:

Weather forecast is good so looks all set for a brilliant day!

Chris
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Ian Hackney
Directeur Sportif

Post by Ian Hackney » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 3:15 pm

Brian could you check out the Map My Ride page above. The link works ok but when I try to embed it into the page it links to the Pitlochry run from earlier in the year.

Let me know what I've done wrong.

Ian
High time we made a stand
And shake up the views of the common man.

Brian_Loye
Directeur Sportif

Post by Brian_Loye » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 5:14 pm

Ian, the mapmyride map is now working properly - sorry I had made a mistake when setting this up.

I have amended the instructions for adding mapmyride maps - these instructions are at the top of the 2010 Club Runs section.

I have also amended your message above to make the map work properly.

Brian

D. McL.
Grizzled old pro

Post by D. McL. » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Ian,

Your map is spot on. I must have a wee go at this some time.

It's looking like a fine dry day for the run! :D

Might bring the better bike oot as the winter bike is needing some serious maintenance done on it. :oops:

Cheers
D. McL.

P.S. Don't forget your passport everybody as we are leaving Ayrshire :lol:

Gordon_Stead
Directeur Sportif

crow road run sun 23rd may

Post by Gordon_Stead » Sun 16 May, 2010 8:39 pm

looking for names of anyone wishing to go next sunday, for transport to lennoxtown, and to plan suitable routes for different abbilites, cafe stops etc.
cheers big g